Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: The Parrot's Final Story

The Parrot's Final Story
Story: After many nights of being kept from seeing her lover, Khojisteh, dressed in her most beautiful clothes and jewels, intending for this to be the night she would finally go meet her lover. You see for some time now, as Khojisteh would go to leave, she would always ask her husbands parrot for permission. This night was different, however, Khojisteh was feeling unusually confident and strolled right past the parrot to go and meet her lover at last. The parrot was relieved that he did not have to tell another story. It had not even been an hour since Khojisteh had left, when Miemun, the parrot's master and Khojisteh’s husband, returned from his long journey. The parrot had warned Khojisteh of just this happening in his stories but she just did not listen.
The Parrot telling stories to Khojisteh: Web Source
Miemun now settled in came up to the parrot and said, “Loyal servant, where is my beloved wife?” You see since the beginning of their relationship, Miemun and Khojisteh had been inseparable and only had eye for each other. Miemun left on a journey, and Khojisteh was so distraught by his leaving, that she found comfort in the arms of another. The parrot, loyal to his master, yet so used to telling stories replied, “Have I ever told you the story of when A King Fell in Love?” Intrigued by the parrot’s story, Miemun replied, “No, tell me of this story.”
The parrot began, “One upon a time there was a young, handsome bachelor, who just so happened to be a King. One day, he laid eyes on the daughter of the emperor of room and he fell instantly in love with her. The two had reciprocal feeling and were eventually married. The couple was practically inseparable, day and night. However, with as much love as the couple had, it turns out the wife was keeping a secret. Since childhood, she had a secret lover whom was the love of her life. The queen had thought he had died in a battle years ago, but it turns out he was being held captive by her husband. As soon as she found out this news she was overcome by pure joy and ran to her lover. She gave him her affection in all ways possible. Unfortunately, a guard spied the couple and went straight to the King, he sentenced him to death. The queen was distraught and eventually in the presence of God and the King was forgiven of her adultery. The King loved his wife so much that he forgave her.”
From the story, Miemun got the hint and said, “Tell me parrot has my wife gone to a lover.” The parrot replied sorrowfully, “Yes good sir. Night after night I have delayed her departure, however, tonight she decided to ignore me and leave.” Miemun was distraught and his heart was broken. Looking for comfort Miemun asked where the Sharuk was, to see if she too had bore witness to these stories, when the parrot informed him of his wife’s doings, he became enraged. When Khojisteh finally returned he confronted her and found out the truth, but when he learned her actions where done for comfort, Miemun became sorrowful that he left. After confirming that she had only gone to her lover once, Miemun forgave her. From that day on, Miemun, Khojisteh, and the parrot lived happily ever after.
Author's Notes: In the original story, this is the final of the parrot’s tales. I really tried to keep the storyline the same, because this was my favorite of the Parrot Tales Unit. In the story, the parrot tells Khojisteh the story of a king falling in love and yet again manages to keep her from going to her lover. In the story the parrot tells her, a king falls in love with the emperor of room and wins her heart. In the story, the queen has a son by another man and the King does not know. Upon arriving at the castle, the queen begins feeling her sorrowful for her son is not there too. She then devises a plan to bring her son to the castle as a “jeweler”. The king agrees to this. One day, the queen was giving her son a motherly kiss on the forehead, when a guard oversaw this act, he told the king at once. The king was furious, thinking his wife brought her lover into the castle, and ordered her son to death. When the son told the executioner the truth he decided to hide him instead of killing him. The King notices how gloomy his wife is and asks her what is wrong, she finally tells him the truth. The King understand and summons the executioner to tell them where the body is and this is where he reveals the truth, that he did not kill him. They lived happily ever after. As soon as the parrot finished the story, Miemun returned from his long journey. Upon his arrival, he asked where the Sharuk was and the parrot told him everything that happened. He began with the murder of the Sharuk (the parrots companion) and how she was trying to have an affair. Miemun was so enraged that he killed his wife. I decided to change the story a lot. I started by making Khojisteh finally get to go meet her lover and Miemun return while she was away. I changed the story the parrot told, to kind of reveal the secret to Miemun and show him he could be forgiving to his wife as the King in the story was. In the original story, I did not like how Miemun killed his wife just because she killed the bird. I liked how this story overall was the parrot’s way of surviving.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Aubreyelle. I have read the Parrot’s tales too so I was able to understand your story and felt that you did a great job recreating it. One of the things that I felt you did very well was the dialogue that you included. I also thought you truly described everything perfectly in details. As a reader it was very easy to visualize the aspects of your story. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Aubreyelle! I liked your take on this story. The story within the story was very well formed and applicable to the overall story. I am a little confused why the parrot was relieved to not have to tell the Queen a story, seeing as that was what was keeping her out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aubryelle!
    I really enjoyed reading your story, “The Parrot’s Final Story.” I like how you changed the story to have a somewhat fairy tale ending in the way that they lived happily ever after. I also thought that it was cool that there was a story being told inside a story. This allowed the reader to really use their imagination. Overall, I think you did a great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aubreyelle!
    I really liked this story, and how much thought you put into retelling this story. The dialogue in this story was structured really well, and I was able to read along and understand all that is occurring. One suggestion that is super minor that I might add is maybe spacing out your story and maybe have some breaks between paragraphs? I found myself trying to find my place in the story again because the words were so close. But this is entirely optional, and up to you! The content is great, and you did a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I read this story as well. Through your story you could tell that you really enjoyed the original story. I like how you kept all three of them alive because I did not like how he killed the parrot. I think I would add some spacing because the print was so small it made it harder for me to follow along without paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, Aubryelle!

    This story had me on the edge of my seat. I was almost certain that it would end in violence. I was fearful for the wife, as she had just left to see her lover. I knew the parrot would eventually tell his master what happened, but I did not expect a story, so that was really cool. I thought the ending was nice. I liked the fact that Miemun was a forgiving man.

    ReplyDelete