Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Wikipedia Trails from Guinevere to Camelot

Guinevere: I started with Guinevere because I am really leaning toward my storybook being about the Women of Camelot. Having little knowledge about Camelot, I decided to start my trail with King Arthur's wife, Guinevere.
(Photo of Guinevere from wikipedia: Photo by Henry Justice Ford)

The Welsh Triads: The Welsh Triads are a group of similar texts that reference King Arthur and some other "semi-historical" characters, as stated by wikipedia. I was lead here from Guinevere because this was unfamiliar to me and I wanted to learn what they were. 

Culhwch and Olwen: I was lead here from The Welsh Triads page, and learned that Culhwch and Olwen is a welsh tale and only survives in two manuscripts, which I think is really cool. This tale is connected to King Arthur because Culhwch is his cousin and he swears that without Arthur's help he will never find Olwen, which is who he will marry.
(A photo from wikipedia of Culhwch at the court of Ysbaddaden: Photo by E. Wallcousins)

Camelot: From Culhwch and Olwen I was led back to my subject of interest, Camelot. I thought it was really cool that a trail that had gotten off on Welsh tales would bring me back to Camelot. I was led here because Culhwch visited King Arthur's court. According to wikipedia this tale, was one of the earliest mentions of King Arthur's court having a specific location. 
(A photo of Camelot from wikipedia: Photo illustration by Gustave Dore)


1 comment:

  1. What a great example of a Wikipedia Trail for research! Yay! I am glad you got introduced to the Celtic dimensions of the Arthur stories; that is one of the most appealing parts of the legend to me. Thanks to the Welsh connection, Arthur shows up in one of the Welsh units for class! Arthur in the Cave (very cool story! maybe you could imagine a story of Guinevere awaking... the sleeping queen instead of the sleeping king)

    ReplyDelete