Sunday, August 27, 2017

Topic Brainstorm for Storybook Project

The Women of Camelot: I love learning about Kings and Queens, I think it is interesting to learn and to see how the times have changed. I have watched television shows and read about Kings and Queens before, but to be honest I haven’t read too in-depth about King Arthur and Camelot so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do so. I have read a lot on the rulers around 1500-1700 AD, and am looking forward to learning about earlier eras. At this point, not having a lot of knowledge on the women of Camelot, I am not entirely sure as to how I will retell the stories. However, I know I enjoy love stories and all the castle drama, so I am sure my stories will revolve around that.
(Guinevere and Lancelot: Photo by Mirelle Patzer)

Mermaids:  I am not going to lie, my first interest in mermaids came for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, On Stranger Tides. I am not familiar with mermaid legends or myths at all, as I have not ever researched them, however I really enjoy legendary creatures such as werewolves and vampires so I know I will love learning about mermaids. I am looking forward to learning all the different legends and stories pertaining to mermaids all around the world. I feel like this would be the storybook best fit for exploring different cultures and their beliefs.The kind of mermaid stories that I will be interested in are the forbidden love ones. I know it is cliche, but to me that is the most interesting part of stories and those are the movies/books that I am most interested in. For me, I will more than likely retell the stories were true love prevails.
(Photo of a mermaid for wikipedia: Piece titled "A Mermaid" by John William Waterhouse)

Hawaiian Mythology: I love visiting Hawaii; however my knowledge of their origins only extends to what I have seen in luau’s and that is why I thought this would be an interesting topic. The stories of Hawaii that will interest me most are the curses and spooky legends, such as the Nightmarchers. Everywhere I go, one of the first thing I  do is research the old legends and read the old ghost tells, however for Hawaii I have not. I  am really not sure how I will rewrite the stories because I haven’t ever read any, but if I do go with the curse or ghost legend route, I will definitely try and make them scarier.
(Hawaiian Night Marchers: Photo by Delphis)

Fairy Tales: This category would be the easiest for me, as this is the topic I am most familiar with. I love fairy tales, especially the Disney classics, however, I have never read their actual stories and think that is something I would really enjoy. For this story book, I feel like I would do all the Disney classic such as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I have always loved fairy tales and remember watching all the movies as a child. I would like to learn about the original stories and see how they differ from the versions I am familiar with. I would probably change all the stories to have a happy ending but I will just have to read the original version to see. 
(Men in Fairy Tales: Photo by Funnyand.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment