Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Storybook Favorites

Nursery Rhymes in the Digital Age: The title is what peaked my interest in this book. Last fall, I took a music class where we discussed "dark" meanings behind nursery rhymes, this past discussion prompted me to look through this book and see the modern twists on famous nursery rhymes. Overall, I felt that the title did a  good job of describing what the storybook was about, however,m i wish the author would have stated the fact that they would be "digitizing" the nursery rhymes. The title lead me to believe the book was discussing what social media itself had done to nursery rhymes. The introduction to this storybook is what sealed the deal for me making it one of my favorites. The first thing you read on the introduction page is a popular rap song introducing you to a new flare on nursery rhymes, I loved it. The introduction is where I realized the author had created the modern twists to the rhymes. The storybook as a whole was amazing, I laughed a lot and genuinely enjoyed reading the storybook. My favorite part was reading the memes that went along with each story. After reading this story, I will be using memes in my storybook because it adds a sense of personal humor.
(Little Bo Peep's tweet after she lost her sheep: Nursery Rhymes in the Digital Age: Image produced by author on a tweet generator at Prank Me Not)

Love at First Retweet: Again, I chose this storybook for its catchy title. When I clicked the link I had no idea that it would include little red riding hood and cupid. Honestly, after reading the stories, I felt like this would have been a great fit under the previous story book I read (Nursery Rhymes in the Digital Age). It is so fascinating to me that people are this creative. I could never have imagined re-writing Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf as a couple, but it worked perfectly into the story line. The introduction page gave me a good idea of the storyline was about. I really liked how the author at the bottom of the story included a summary of what the original story was about and how they changed it. This feature is great for someone who is not familiar with the stories. This storybook was very good. I really enjoyed reading it and have gained more insight to what the storybook project entails.

Grey's Anatomy: Untold Secrets: What caught my attention to this storybook, is simply the words Grey's Anatomy. Using a popular television show as an outline is pure genius. I loved every second of this storybook. It was by far my favorite one I read. The introduction to this book, was a little vague and until I read the whole storybook, I did not know what story the author was referencing. Honestly, that was the only downfall to this storybook, however, the author revived their self by including excellent explanations at the end of each story about the original one and where their ideas came from. As with all the stories I read, the layout was great and easy to use. Job well done to all the authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment